When my CRPS flares up, a number of things make me feel better including:
Prayer and bible study… Max Lucado’s Before Amen prayer is great and let’s me pray for as long or as short as I can cope with. Proverbs 31 do a great online bible study and I am able to do what I can when I can and still feel a part of community. Reassurance and peace can be found in the Word.
Really strong, good coffee… I live on Nespresso
Exercise… Working out with my biokineticist and friend, Bryce, keeps my limbs mobile and prevents deterioration. The exercise also release endorphins which helps with pain relief. Yoga nidra is great for clearing the mind and increasing communication with one’s nerves.
Books… I read and listen to them. I find using a Kindle is the best way to consume books because paper books hurt my hands. When I’m having eye trouble or have a migraine, audible.com has great books to distract from the pain. Favourites include:
- J K Rowling’s Harry Potter series
- Brene Brown’s The Gifts of Imperfections
- Gail Carriger’s The Parasol Protectorate series
- Jane Austen’s six novels – particularly Pride & Prejudice
- Daisy Dalrymple series by Carola Dunn
- Emily Bronte’s Wuthering Heights and Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre
- The Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters
- The Reluctant Detective series by Martha Oakley
- Christopher Paolini’s Inheritance Cycle
Movies… I love watching mini series and movies I love, over and over again particularly interpretations of the classics by BBC, action movies and period dramas like Downton Abbey and Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries.
Music… A broad range of music keeps my brain at peace, from rock ‘n roll to classics. Favourites include Carrie Underwood, Kari Jobe and Taylor Swift
Apps… My iPad has revolutionized my life, it’s awesome and the one device I can use with ease. The apps I use include:
- MyPainDiary rocks at helping me keep track of medication taken, how I’m feeling and what I’ve done
- UP from JawBone helps me keep an eye on what I am eating, how much I’m exercising and of I have a healthy calorie count
- Physio fun limbs is app that helps retrain the brain and helps identify left from right which is really important for CRPS
- Barometer helps me track weather changes, particularly barometric pressure which affects my pain level hugely
- Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter keep me in touch and inspired